Monday, July 18, 2011

Backroads Garden Detour at BonnieVille


In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.  My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.  The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.  ~Abram L. Urban

I recently hosted a garden party that was somewhat designed after a progressive type of party. A friend and I invited several of our friends. We started at my house with drinks and snacks, lots of socializing and we actually did go out and spend some time looking at my perennial flower beds while we sweated like crazy.
Then we loaded up and drove three miles over to a neighbor with lots of flowers and vegetable gardens on her place. They raise vegetables for a local grocery store and lots of melons and pumpkins, etc. to sell at a roadside stand nearby. She gave us a very detailed tour of her gardens. You could tell how proud she was and how much she enjoyed showing them off. I can relate to how much work it is and how good it feels when others are interested in checking it out. We have an open invitation now to stop by and if we want some of a plant she has and it's time to thin it she'll give us a slip.
After more sweat we loaded up and headed in to town to see my friend Peggy's beautiful perennial flower beds. She has lots of garden decor and pots. After looking over her gardens we enjoyed more drinks, snacks and socializing. I’ve been hosting garden parties and tours occasionally over the past 12 years or so.
Thought I would share a link to the pictures I took.
 I hope you can enjoy our party without being there.

No two gardens are the same.  No two days are the same in one garden.  ~Hugh Johnson

Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there.  ~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Plants give us oxygen for the lungs and for the soul.  ~Linda Solegato

As a gardener, I'm among those who believe that much of the evidence of God's existence has been planted.  ~Robert Brault

1 comment:

  1. I love your garden! I've tried to do most of mine from flowers and plants I share with other friends. That what I have a piece of each friendship right in my own back yard! My favorites are Lilies and Hostas...so we'll have to share sometime! You have a much grander scale than mine however :)

    ReplyDelete